View unanswered posts View active topics  

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Junkyard Part Swaps
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:24 pm 
Past President

DISCLAIMER; THIS IS A COLLECTION OF POSSIBLE JUNKYARD SWAPS IN ORDER TO ALLOW YOU THE POSSIBILITY OF BUILDING ON A BUDGET. ALL INFORMATION IN HERE IS HEARSAY, AND SHOULD PROBABLY BE CONFIRMED BY A MECHANIC BEFORE ATTEMPTING. THE RED DEER JEEP PACKRATS ASSUME NO LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES OR ACCIDENTS CAUSED BY THE USE OF THE INFORMATION LISTED IN THIS POST.

I will attempt to keep this organized as possible, as a reference area for JUNKYARD SWAPS....compatible parts, not ones that require major fabrication. Post any that haven't been listed, and I'll try to organize them up here at the top.

PLEASE POST WHICH JEEP YOU ARE REFERRING TO, SO WE KNOW WHAT TECH INFO GOES WITH EACH JEEP!!!

CHEROKEE XJ
Suspension & Lift:
1. ZJ V8 Upcountry Coils = 1-1.5" lift
2. F-150/Bronco Coils ('79-ish) = 4-4.5" lift
3. S10 leaf packs (cut eyes off S10 main and bolt pack under XJ main) = 3-4" lift
4. Dakota Bastard Pack (do same as with S10 pack) = ~4" lift
5. JK shocks = slight mod to fit 2-4" lift
6. MJ Shackles = 1/2" lift
7. Camaro Spring Isolators = 1.5" lift
8. The following vehicles rear leaf packs can be used in combination w/ an XJs mainleaf to lift the rear end (cut the eyes off of the mainleafs). Trial and error will determine how much lift.
Dakota leafs
S10 leafs
MJ leafs
XJ leafs
S-10 chevy rear leafs - when using the main eye and bottom most leaf with the rest of a stock XJ pack it will yield about 3.5" of lift.

Brakes:
1. WJ brake booster
2. WJ Master Cylinder
3. YJ rear brake line is 3” longer than the XJ's and is a direct swap.
4. Dodge Ram Van Brake Lines = 10-12" longer (for big lifts)
5. WJ Rotors/Calipers = bigger brakes and more stopping power (will fit 15" rims)
6. ZJ brake booster and master cylinder
7. ZJ rear discs can be swapped onto a c-clip D35 or corp 8.25
8. Early to mid 90s ford crown vic rear disc brakes are almost a direct swap to an XJ d44 or non c-clip d35. All that is needed to bolt them up is a spacer that goes between the outer bearing retainer and outer bearing seal to make up the difference in thickness between the caliper bracket and drum bracket to give the proper bearing preload. On the XJ d44 you can use the factory outer retainer for a TJ Rubicon d44 (mopar pn 1-05083678AA) after it is redrilled to correct axle flange bolt pattern. On the non c-clip d35 a custom spacer must be fabbed up. A 1/4” tall section of 2.5” od tubing with a ~.120 wall thickness should work.
9. 95-96 XJ power brake booster - great replacement to the renix crap.

Axles:
1. Ford 8.8 inch ('97+) = need spring & shock mounts (4.10, LSD, Disc Brakes)
2. XJ I-4 & V6 = 4.10 gears (some have 4.56) may have vacuum discos
3. 97+ XJ C8.25 = bolt in and upgrades to 29 spline (strength comparable to D44)
4. XJ D44 = found in some but not all '87-'89 XJ's with Towing Package

Front End & Steering:
1. ZJ V8 Tierods = beefier & bolt in
2. WJ Knuckles/Tierods/Draglinks = beefier and crossover steering
3. Durango Steering Box = beefier
4. 350 or 351 Power Steering Pump = helps with oversize tires Mounts easily does take some welding.
5. WJ LCA's = more tire clearance (some grinding required)
6. ZJ pitman arm = 1 inch drop over stock
7. WJ rear LCA's = replace XJ front LCA's, 2" longer to accommodate a lift, some grinding required
Don't have the tire clearance bend but are 2” longer than stock XJ LCA's
Slightly thicker steel than XJ LCA's and made of boxed square tubing instead of channel
Can be modded to fit XJ by cutting down the bushings to fit in the XJ's LCA pockets
8. If youve scrapped your renix AC for OBA - use the existing AC cooler and plum it into the power steering gear box, you use alot more PS fluid but wont get the "whine" when turning at crawl speeds.
9. WJ front LCA's
-same length as stock XJ LCA's but have a bend for clearance of wider tires
-slightly thicker steel than XJ LCA's and made of boxed square tubing instead of channel
-can be modded to fit XJ by cutting down the bushings to fit in the XJ's LCA pockets

Engine Performance:
1. Newer XJ intakes (may require some modification)
2. Mustang 5.0 Injectors = bolt in (have 4 holes instead of 1, more fuel, better spray)
3. ZJ V8 alternator = more power to run accessories (some grinding required) 136A
4. Ford Electric Fan ('90-95 3.8L Taurus, '87-93 5.0L Mustang) = replaces mechanical fan, more cooling (8C607)
5. 2.5L Dakota Alternator = bolt in, upgrades to 117A

Other:
1. '94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
2. Lebaron or laser hood vents = help keep ur 4.0 cool
3. 97+ mirrors are direct bolt in to older XJ's and allow you to fold them in on tight trails.
4. MJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, bolt in to at least older XJ's
5. ZJ gas tank skid = can be modified to fit 97+
6. ZJ and WJ stock tranny coolers with stacked plates (even an upgrade for us with the stock fin style)
7. GM power antennas replace your broken XJ's with little modification
8. 5spd crossmembers give 3/4 inch tcase drop on autos with no loss in ground clearance
9. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an Mj overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.
10. XJ '97+ doors onto older cherokees = one piece windows and better mirrors
11. XJ overhead console = most commonly found in '00-01, provides space for switches etc.
12. '97+ center console = can be made to fit '96 and older, gives you cupholders!
13. 92+ HO 4.0's - almost everything is straight accross swapable with the non HO engine. If your not a wiring geneous as I am not, use everything that doesnt need the computer, head, intake, exhaust, etc. Use your renix TB, injectors, etc. I did this just recently and noticed a considerable change in power. The HO head is ported much better along with the intake and exhaust.
14. '97+ mirrors are a direct swap to the older '84-'96 models and allow you to fold them on the trail and get a slightly larger mirror as well. It's one of my favorite changes since we have the tight trees in the Pacific Northwest and I wasted a couple of stock mirrors. The old style never seem to be the same after holding the Jeep away from a large Douglas Fir tree.

`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, '13 Rubicon

My Willys is your TJ's daddy.....

Post subject: Re: Junkyard Part Swaps
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:44 pm 
Past President

CHEROKEE XJ

Steering box from a late 80's - early 90's Camaro/Firebird with the "sport suspension package". It will have a "Z" cast into the side. This is the box the Jeepspeed guys run. It's stronger and has a better ratio too.

Consoles for shifters (if anyone cares) are modular - If you need to downsize from full to shorty the shift indicator from an auto will fit into the hole left when you pull out the manual rubber boot - and vice versa. The sheet metal tabs sticking out of the tunnel have screws buried under all the dirt and will come out. However, carpet patching is necessary, if you bother.

Some police versions have rubber liners (like pickups) instead of carpet.

The old chrome custom oil breathers from small block chevies are PVC sized and pop right in to the valve cover - NO more oil on the air filter. Yes, the hood shuts. I am also looking for a mid 90's Pontiac oil separator/breather from the quad 4 (?) which even includes a finned cast aluminum body and oil return line to the nearest point. I looks like it was styled by the same guy who did the valve cover, and is my latest search item when out junking.

Mid 90's caravans have a nice tranny cooler the size of Hayden's smallest 400 series - but they are plate style, not fins, even better. Get them with the bracket and hoses.

Get an extra jamb switch to install 12" down from the hinges on the hatch - so you can actually get the back light on when it opens, instead of tweaking the hall effect sensor weekly . . .

A Comanche overflow tank mounts on the fender next to the stock air filter if you have (converted) to the open radiator. The 18" hose that comes with it is almost too long - beats the 3+ foot hose and gangly tall factory thingy behind the battery.

ZJ rear disc conversion, they will fit an 8.25" axle as well after simply clearancing the caliper brackets for the larger diameter axle tubes.

4.10's "generally" behind 2.5/2.8L with stick, BUT you might stumble across a 2.5 with an AW4 (a real rarity). They came with 4.56's

the rear brake flex line a yj line bolts right in and it is alot longer than a stock xj

For the MJ folks: Some may not realize that the pre '96 XJ buckets are bolt-in as well as the XJ consoles (both full and mini).

Also for those who already have buckets, some early buckets had a tilting seat bottom as well as the seat back. The mechanism for this feature was contained in the seat mount and if you can find the mount with it you can swap it in under your original seats gaining a lot more adjustability (my first MJ had these seats and I could never get comfortable in my XJ until I scored a set of bases outta the same '87 Poineer I got my 4.10's from).

Ford Ranger or Explorer 15x7 wheels have 4.5" backspacing instead of stock Jeep wheels which have 5.25"

some early XJs used Dana 30 axle shafts with CVs instead of U joints. These are garbage too, they can be replaced with 1991 or up front axle shafts that bolt right up, and use the stronger U joint (297x). You need to change your '85s rotors to a newer rotor for a 1991-99.

ZJ Pitman Arm for a 1" drop.
MJ shackles for 1/2" lift.
95+ or any ABS equipped XJ for the 297 front axleshafts.

The alt. from a 98 era 318 grand cherokee or dakota will bolt in with a slight exchange of parts. My stock alt. was 117 amp the grands was a 136 amp...and some of the older xjs were only 90 amp. Wiring should probably be taken into consideration if going from 90 to 136 though...

Theres a little black piece that on the stock alt directs the wire towards the engine, but on the GC alt it directs the wire away from the engine. go here
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/ for a writeup and pics. Pretty simple, the hardest part was getting the stock alt. out and the new one in.

- lebaron hood vents -12$ each
- rear sway bar axle mounts as bar pin eliminators on your shocks -free$$$,
- newer xj's have longer sway bar end links by about 1-1.5", cheap at 8$ each to clear coils on a small lift

Quote:
I have a 2000 XJ, and added cruise from the junkyard for $30!!

You need the underhood servo, with its vacuum line and throttle cable. The holes for it are already in the pass fender. The wiring plug was there also. Even the throttle cable bracket and throttle body were set up to accept the cruise cable. The vacuum line at the servo mounting point even has a "T" fitting with a small cap on it. Just take off the cap and plug on the servo's vacuum line.

You will also need the switches off the steering wheel. This means you need to take off the airbag so be sure to disconnect the battery. Needed a small torx bit to get the switches off. They bolt right on in place of the "blanks" on my steering wheel.

You also need the clockspring that sits behind the steering wheel. Pull you own wheel first so you know what tools you need. The first time I went I was not prepared. You need a good steering wheel puller. The clockspring is what connects the wires from the airbag and switches to the rest of the wiring, allowing the steering wheel to turn.

BE CAREFUL--apparently the switches from 98 or 99 and down and 99 or 2000 and up are different EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK IDENTICAL. Sorry I don't know exactly, I wasn't paying attention when I pulled my first set but they did not work. I went back and got some off a 2000 (after doing some research) plugged them in and BANG the green "cruise" light on the dash lit up when I pushed on. Works like a charm and easy.

Sorry don't know how much work is involved in the earlier models.

chevy truck brake lines in the front and dakota line for the rear. more than enough for 6in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 pm 
Past President

CHEROKEE XJ

don't know if it's been mentioned, but a "free" mod is just using the stock rear swaybard mounts as BPE's. Use 1/2" x 2 1/2" grade 8 hardware with the bushing pressed out of the swaybar and pressed into the new shock eye. Works perfectly well, beats buying the same thing that comes with a fancy sticker..except I guess my rig might go faster with stickers on it :lol:
here's a picture, stock shock on the right and rear MJ shock with the aforementioned BPE attached on the left. Good for 3-4" of lift.

Forgot about an other good mod that I had to do.
converting from the close system to open without changing your radatior using junkyard parts. Go to the yard and look for dakotas or durangos with a 4.7 and grab the upper hose to get there fill cap. Cut section out of the upper hose and install into it and find an any over flow bottle that will work. Block or elimitate the T'ed lines in the heater core and your done.

It will kinda look like this when your done except for the V8

ONLY the ZJ V8 tie rod and adjuster is solid and stronger compared to the hollow XJ AND ZJ normal ones.
It will just bolt in place as shown here: http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/tierod-1.htm

the rear lower control arms on the geo tracker 90-99, suzuki sidekick, and chevy tracker, all 90-99, are 2 inches longer than the xj front control arms, and will fit directly, with a little love. they are round stock, and torque pretty good.

zj's and 97+ xj's come with a plastic fuel cell with the pump assembly on top, not too ugly either, perfect for an incab fuel cell on the cheap that will still take the stock fuel pump.

Dodge Durango steering box will work as an upgrade also. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71626

Any Dodge truck or Older Full size Grand Wagoneer Horn is a direct plug and play swap. Gets a little Beefier sound. The horns are about twice as big as stock XJ horns.

a lot of ZJ's and WJ's came with a nice stacked plate tranny cooler.

If you can find some front springs from a 76ish Ford F100 its about a 4 1/2 - 5"ish lift. BUT its kinnda stiff. you get flex but not as much as you would with the right springs.

power antennas, almost any late model GM uses the same drive motor and relay. You may have to remove the motor and re-use your old mast, depending on the length of the the junkyard mast. As a bonus, the relay is the same and it is clipped to the antenna mast on the GM models.

Quote:
for those with an auto equipped XJ lookin for a t-case drop
pick up a late model XJ 5spd trans crossmember it is identical to an auto but the top of it where the trans mount bolts to is about 3/4 lower than on an auto
both are the same dimesions but directly in the center where the mount bolts the 5spd one dips down to a lower mounting surface and essentially gives you a 3/4" t-case drop with no loss in ground clearance or breakover angle.
not sure exactly what years to look for but my 99 5spd is like this and I found a replacement on a 96 5spd in the junkyard after I fubared mine.

I didnt know they were different and the first one I picked up was from a 98 auto XJ and when I got mine out and compared them is when I found the difference.

might be a little help for those who have a mild lift with some slight vibes but cant afford an SYE but dont want the lost clearance of the T-case drop

82-92 camaro rear spring insulators, grab em there cheap, take off your stock nsulator on the front slap that maro one up there, and then put your old on back, bam! 1.5 in lift

if you massage that lower bump on the insulator with a grinder and wet wheel, it will fit perfectly into the rear of another set of them, making it a 15 dollar, poly 3' lift puck

Dummy console for installing small CB, switches, etc. in an XJ from a 93 Caravan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:04 pm 
Past President

87 XJ w/tow package Dana 44 rear axle

front axle shafts- look for any xj or zj with regular U joints and abs brakes, and it is a guaranteed 297 joint

ZJ rear disc brakes- the are a nearly direct boly on for the 35c, and with a little clearancing, can be made to work on the non Cclip35, or the XJ44.

dual diaphram brake booster and newer master cylinder. I won'y post what year mine is from for two reasons- 1st, I don't remember exactly, and the brake light switch doesn't currently work. 2nd, there is better tech on than I can personally provide

WJ knuckles, and brakes- this is by no means a direct bolt on swap, but a very good upgrade, if you are ready to spend the time and money to do it right. FYI, I used '04 4x4 sport trac rotors with mine. They are almost exactly the same as the WJ. I did have to visit the outer diamater of my hub flanges with a grinder so the rotor would slide over them- very minimal, but needed for fitment. This mod also required some money to go to JKS for hub spacers, and a relocated trac bar mount (welds to axle) and a new trac bar, and steering linkages (WJ rods are too long).

I have a SYE (from PORC- I don't know for sure if all of them use the same output yoke) With the amount of lift I have (close to 8") I was able to use a front driveshaft in the rear. The DS needs to be from a 4.0 AT XJ, and the vehicle it is going into needs to be the same. My nephew has a 4.0 5sp, and the DS was too short. There are variations in the snout length of the rear axles that may make this more or less feasable. I don't know how the 8.25 compares, but the 44 is a little longer than the 35, so it should work better on the 35. FWIW, my slip is within about an inch of full compression, but I have checked it all through the suspension cycle and it actually changes very little.

steering wheel- not as glamorous as some of the other upgrades I listed, but here goes- my XJ is an 88- I know some years are the same, but I am not sure if they changed the column on later models. The earlier (around 88) models appear to have a GM sourced sterring column. The first indication of this to me was the GM profiled ignition key. For fun one day at the pull a part yard, I took the steering wheel off an 87 XJ, and took one from a Lumina Z34 and tried it. Same shaft diamater and spline. Much nicer wheel than the original, and slightly smaller too. The horn switch is slightly different, but if you know how to pull a steering wheel, chances are you can figure out the wiring. Obviously, you need to be looking at older cars with no air bags. These may be harder to find now than when I got mine though.

If you need a longer driveshaft for a rig that still has a slip yoke, use an easy to find GM midsize driveshaft for a donor, to cut down for use in your XJ. The U-joints & even the slip yoke from most 60s & 70s B & G bodys are the same.1310 & 27 spline. It's pretty simple to shorten a driveshaft if you have a chop saw & a mig welder.There are other shafts that will work but these are plentiful & cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:35 pm 
RDJP Member

8.8" axle - ALL explorer rears are 31 spline, 95+ are disk brake. Even the 10" drum brakes of earlier models will be an upgrade on a jeep.

Itty Bitty Ranger on 42's...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:08 pm 
Past President

If any guys who run a specific type of jeep like YJ's or TH's could chime in with some stuff, even if it isn't confirmed, that would be great. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:41 pm 
RDJP Executive

http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/leaf_springs.png

'92 YJ/CJ/TJ/LJ/JK....
'52 CJ3A really just a pile or two of parts, but some day...

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]