Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:56 pm 
RDJP Member

I have a Spartan up front. Can't even tell it's there till I'm in 4 wheel. Makes turning difficult if I use 4 wheel on snowy roads though. As long as you remember it's there and remember it's going to cause some understeer you'll be ok.

Jeeps are like LEGO...build it...play with it...break it...build it again!

'98 TJ/Custom long arm/3 link front/4 link rear with 15" of stretch. 6" in the front and 9" out back.
A Dana 60 front (lincon locker) Sterling 10.5 rear (LS) with cutting brakes on the rear. 5.38 gears. 37" Boggers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 pm 
RDJP Member

whats the easiest way to find out gearing both jeeps are second hand didn't find any thing on the jeep that said

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 am 
RDJP Member

If you haven't changed the fluids in the diffs, now is a good time to. While the covers are off, count the gears on the ring and on the pinion. Divide the ring by the pinion and you'll have it. That's your most accurate way. Other way is there will be a metal tag held on by a cover bolt that will give you the info. Provided noone has removed it or changed the gearing. It Is also possible to jack up one end and turn the drive shaft by hand and and count the tire revolutions.
I would prefer the first one and do a visual inspection and get some new fluids in there.

Jeeps are like LEGO...build it...play with it...break it...build it again!

'98 TJ/Custom long arm/3 link front/4 link rear with 15" of stretch. 6" in the front and 9" out back.
A Dana 60 front (lincon locker) Sterling 10.5 rear (LS) with cutting brakes on the rear. 5.38 gears. 37" Boggers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 am 
RDJP Executive

jeepsrgreat wrote:
If you haven't changed the fluids in the diffs, now is a good time to. While the covers are off, count the gears on the ring and on the pinion. Divide the ring by the pinion and you'll have it. That's your most accurate way. Other way is there will be a metal tag held on by a cover bolt that will give you the info. Provided noone has removed it or changed the gearing. It Is also possible to jack up one end and turn the drive shaft by hand and and count the tire revolutions.
I would prefer the first one and do a visual inspection and get some new fluids in there.

or you could use the 41-11 or similar number stamped into the side of the ring gear to tell you what it is.

'92 YJ/CJ/TJ/LJ/JK....
'52 CJ3A really just a pile or two of parts, but some day...

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:18 pm 
RDJP Member

ya that's what I thought I was hoping to only pull the covers do the lockers and put new oil in at the same time I know silly me that it would work that easy

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2