All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Haha, JK.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:27 pm 
RDJP Member

First post - here to watch Mikes Scrambler build really, but thought I'd post up my own. It made a lot of progress in the first year of owning it, but has slown down a bit.. certainly plans in mind, just not enough follow through yet :)

Currently Done:

Metalcloak Gamechanger 3.5" Lift ARB Edition
Metalcloak Overline Fenders
Metalcloak Inner Fenders
Offroad Heroes Cargo Top
Custom Tire Carrier
Procomp Series 97 Steelies
Toyo MT 35x12.5x17
Superchips Traildash

Future:
Forced Induction = Prodigy Turbo
Fully built (Truss, gusset, sleeve, RCV axles) Dana 44's or Dana 60's, 4.88 gearing.
Winch
37's
Metalcloak front + rear bumpers
Metalcloak Rock Rails

It's humble beginnings at a Honda dealership, traded in for who knows what.

Details:
2012 JKU Sport
38,000KM (I'm Canadian) on the clock
Stock

First time finding mud and having the soft top on, I knew I needed different tires.

In hopes of finding bigger tires at some point, I chopped up my fenders for flats and made a stubby front bumper. I rocked this for a bit even just to differentiate myself from every other soccer mom out there.. looking back on it now, it looked atrocious with stock tires.

Shortly after I ended up finding 35" Toyo MT's for a killer price - all in I paid $1200 for 5 tires @ 90% and brand new Procomp steelies.

Post subject: Re: Haha, JK.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:28 pm 
RDJP Member

Last Christmas I found out my wife either REALLY loves me or just wanted me to stop spending so much time researching Jeep parts every night. I was obsessed with looking at lift kits, and was ready to work on the side to make up the necessary money needed. But she bought me the full lift that I had researched to death and dreamed of daily..

Full Metalcloak Gamechanger ARB Edition. I understand the 6-Pack shocks don't hold up AS well in our environment up in Canada due to the constant grit/salt/snow and changing climate. In addition I bought a driveshaft from Adams Driveshaft who I will undoubtedly deal with again, great company and phenomenal pricing.

Up on the lift..

All finished up

Parked beside a stock Jeep for comparison..

I lucked out HARD. Full Metalcloak Overline set with inner fenders for sale in my city. Rare to see this stuff go up for sale.. the catch? It was bedlined and looked terrible.

I found a product called "Aircraft Remover" - you brush it on, and you watch it bubble. Scrape it off after then sand down the bare steel. I put about 45-50 hours into cleaning these up.

But the results were worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:35 pm 
RDJP Member

Stripped down

Completed front

Rears in progress..

And finished up

First beauty shot in a while.

Around this time I also bought the Offroad Heroes Cargo Top and had a custom tire carrier built and powder coated. It's sturdy as they come and built for up to a 37" tire handling it with ease. Slightly hesitant to go to 40 as that's a lot of weight to lift up there in case of a flat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:38 pm 
RDJP Member

One of my first LEGIT off-roading adventures, this is near Drayton Valley in Alberta, Canada.

TORE Park

At an Off-road park near my place..

Image[/QUOTE]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:39 pm 
RDJP Member

[QUOTE=8R0;22289257]Went back out to TORE again last night, took my fenders off for the first time. I had to put Anti Seize on the bolts, so I figured I may as well try the run without them anyways.

Same amount of mud on the vehicle after.. just happens a lot quicker lol. Definitely see the benefits of running with no fenders on trips requiring maximum clearance.

I'm trying to grab a few of the videos taken too, there was one massive hole I'm pretty stoked I got through.

Otherwise.. I need to remove a few of the bump stops provided by Metalcloak to maximize on performance without the fenders.[/QUOTE]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:41 pm 
RDJP Member

Now I just need to turbo it.. but that's all for now. In all seriousness, this seems like one of the few legit forums around. Good to see a bunch of Jeep owners just keeping it simple and having a good time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:52 pm 
RDJP Member

What a great build thread! Nice pics and stories of how your jeep came to be! Keep it up man! You'll have to join for a future run!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 pm 
RDJP Member

Welcome. Nice jeep. I have metalcloak front fenders on my TJ. great product.

99 TJ & 2000 WJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 am 
RDJP Member

Welcome aboard Josh. Good to see you here. This bunch is nuts tho! Just a fair warning!! That's why I fit in so well! You'll have to come out for a run. So long as you don't say the same thing as Peter, aka, Vladimer did. "Mike, what the hell did you get me into!!!" ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Rubicon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:36 pm 
RDJP Member

Haha, looking forward to it for sure - I have a priority for a front bumper/winch, but with the way the dollar is right now, I may wait until it's a bit better. Otherwise I'd definitely like to get out to Abraham lake in January if anyone else is up for it, explore the trails a bit.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next